The Settlement Council of Australia (SCOA) is grateful for the opportunity to make a submission to the Department of Social Services (DSS) on a stronger, more diverse and independent community sector.
On the basis of sector wide consultations, SCOA makes six key recommendations:
- provide grants that reflect the real cost of delivering quality services;
- provide longer grant agreement terms;
- give the sector the voice and respect it deserves;
- create meaningful ongoing consultation processes;
- restore the sectors’ freedom to advocate; and
- ensure grant funding flows to a greater diversity of not-for-profits or trusted community organisations with strong local links.