Drive Safe in WA is designed to provide refugees and migrants with an overview of WA road rules, purchasing a safe vehicle and child restraints.
The Settle In Drive Safe in WA workshops were developed in response to clients’ ongoing desire to travel independently and secure a driver’s license. A partnership was established between Settle In and the RAC, as the leading road safety advocates in WA. RAC’s community development team deliver content specifically tailored for the CaLD client group. The free workshops are designed to provide eligible participants with an overview of safe driving practices in Western Australia and cover the following
- WA road rules and road safety;
- Guidelines for buying safe and roadworthy cars;
- The use of appropriate child restraints;
- How to obtain a driver’s license, including how to transfer an international license;
- How to access a free driving lesson via the national Keys2Drive program; and
- How to access No Interest Loans to support with the cost of self-funding driving lessons.
Creche has been offered to provide parents and caregivers the opportunity to access the information.
Positive outcomes of Drive Safe in WA workshops include participants obtaining their WA driver’s license, thus increasing their independence and ability to access services, employment and social participation options, whilst also increasing the safety of the individuals, their families and other road users.
Three workshops were held in 2019, with 35 participants attending in total. All participants reported an increase in the awareness of safe driving practices and felt confident to begin the process of getting their full license.
- the importance of meaningful partnerships with leading experts in the community to provide comprehensive information to the client group
- the value of independent travel and the impact it has on all facets of an individual’s life